Couscous is a great gain, and it does really well when used in Freezer Bag Cooking (FBC). This FBC recipe, Couscous Primavera, make use of Italian flavors to create a warm and satisfying dish with a lot of taste and is filling.
This is a great recipe to pull out when you are getting tired of the simple recipes, and need some Italian flavor, without having to make a complicated dish.
As always you can make this recipe with fresh ingredients or dried and shelf stable ingredients depending on your current situation. I have tried to give examples of any dried options where available.
Remember, you can also make a lot of the dried ingredients yourself using a dehydrator, which can save a lot of money from buying the commercial versions which tend to be pricey.
Couscous is a great food to use in freezer bag cooking. It contains fiber which helps the body and will take on the flavors that you are cooking with it. This recipe is a great side dish to most any entree, but pairs especially well with fish.
FBC Couscous Primavera
- ¾ cup couscous
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cube chicken bullion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup mixed dried vegetables
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Mix couscous, seasoning, bullion (crushed), and vegetables to a freezer bag.
- Add in 2 cups of boiling water and place into coozie for 12 minutes.
- Open the bag and stir contents.
- Stir in olive oil and parmesan cheese and combine well.
- Drain off any excess liquid.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Parmesan packets that are shelf stable can be found at pizza places and other take-out restaurants such as Italian places like Fazolis and Olive Garden.
When you are planning out your menu for freezer bag cooking remember to vary the flavors so that you don’t get burned out eating similar meals every day. Recipes like this Couscous Primavera are perfect to add in an Italian element to your menu.